Saturday, December 30, 2006

All in All, I'm Just Grumpy This Morning

The Erotic Journal put up my and Sable's story, "Love Thy Neighbor." I'm probably picking at nits, here, but I wonder why the blog coloured her name bold yellow and mine slender white. Is the Erotic Journal trying to tell me I need a tan? It makes me think they took the idea of Sable having a co-writer whilst kicking and letting forth proverbial shrieks.

This writing for recognition business sits ill with me.

The blog very kindly removed all formatting so that thought in the first person now appears to be error in tense. Ah, interweb, I love you so. Reading our work (plastered between those beautiful naked women), I realized exactly how much we writers actually need an editor. We went through that story three times each and still didn't catch all of the errors. I'll fix it up better before attempting to shop it

And now a word on sexism.

Black Lace, a small press that only accepts female authors, is within their every right to discriminate against males. Males need discriminated against. Sexism, after all, only applies to men. Black Lace isn't being sexist, they're enriching themselves and fortifying their place in the publishing world.

BARF.

As someone on Absolute Write pointed out, writers, much like journalists, are professional liars. We can write across the gender gap and we can do it damn well. But if Black Lace and other such rags feel they need to so severely limit the stories they'll buy, I shall gratefully avoid them and proceed to the next buyer.

If one type of discrimination is bad, they all are. It's a buyers market. Black Lace can buy whatever they please. But when they blatantly say "Males need not apply," they are every bit as bigoted as a white discriminating against a black, an Italian discriminating against an Asian, and a man discriminating against a woman.

Legal or not, they're still behaving like sexist pigs.

3 comments:

Paula and Elwood's Poetic Palace said...

von Klick, you should be proud.
We did very good with this one.

Like you, I read this story through at least 10 times. Reading it again as it is posted was wonderful.

Stop being grumpy and enjoy the pub.

*come here, swat*

von Klick said...

Ow.

Nichola said...

Just say, "Many moons ago, your sexist regulations turned me off to your prejudice. Now I am returneth, and I am RICH, so I shall buy your ass out!!!"

That was me, that was me, that was me, I said writers are liars. :D And we are. How many other people get paid to make stuff up?!

scarletpeaches. ;)