Saturday, February 7, 2009

On Critique Responses

This is an open note to everyone I do a critique for:

This is a chance for both of us to improve our abilities to critically evaluate writing. For me, it is a chance to criticize new fiction and give me both an insight into evaluating my own work, and (with luck) a chance to create a portfolio of critiques that proves that I would make a good editor.

Since this is on my blog, though, it gives you, the writer, a chance to critically evaluate opinions about your work. So, feel free to make my critique a dialogue. Want to argue with me about a specific point? Do it. You can't do this with a real editor, and you can't really get away with it at peer critique boards - but you can, and should, here.

All I ask for is civility, and in return, I'll give you as much running dialogue on your work and on my critique as you want. Because that helps both of us.

No comments: