Thursday, February 5, 2009

The War on Grammarians

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28900351/

Aside from purporting that good spelling habits and decent grammar are solely the custom of "nerds," this article treads further into the retarded by basically saying that people who correct grammar are somehow psychologically disturbed.

Or that we're all just upset about the economy.

I'm glad the article gave me permission to notice grammar errors at work, though. It's hard to help someone with their paper and simultaneously ignore a page full of comma splices.

I'm willing to bet that, given the subject of the article, the author and the editor both poured endlessly over their grammar. In my book, that's ironic.

I mean, after all, if we're just psychologically disturbed and angry about the economy, they really shouldn't worry about what we think.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

When I play online games, I always use the best grammar I can, and I remember people calling me elitist for doing that.

von Klick said...

Sounds like me. I always used decent grammar when I played World of Warcraft, and I avoided most of the game's special short-hand jargon.

I found that some people avoided me because I spoke differently--but that a seemingly large number of people went out of their way to interact with me because I spoke clearly.